Saturday 5 June 2010

Zara - back on form (with a little help from the Second World War)

When I was 17, I was in LOVE with Zara - and I do mean in love, so obsessed with the clothing (that seemed to me to embody everything I wanted to be, in sartorial terms) it was on the level of infatuation. But like all good love affairs, it ended. They started to think that everybody wanted to look like a hippy - and I bloody hate hippies. In fact, for the past three years, the only thing I've bought from my previous love was a wartime-esque duffle coat, from the little boys' department!

And this wartime comment leads to my rekindled love affair... I adore the 'evacuee' look above all others (except, perhaps, the 'old lady on a cruise ship' look - as my mother describes my style as or 'Tory wife at a garden party, on crack' - as I describe my own sartorial leanings). I long for a time when you could skip around in a field in shorts and bows and not worry about a thing. (Obviously, as a 'history student' I know that the reality of evacuation was more like survival and less fun times, but... all I really care about is the clothing, so there you are).

I have 'ripped' the following pictures out of the June 2010 lookbook and I think it's the best stuff they've done all year (with the possible exception of the Miu Miu rip-off cat dress from May) and although they are a brief selection, they are all totally fabulous (and evacuee-esque) in their own special way.

Welcome back to my wardrobe Zara, it's been a while!











♥ Saskatoon

1 comment:

I ♥ getting comments! Do leave one, I really appreciate all of them...