Saturday 13 February 2010

My Very Favourite Palace...












... (Because I am clearly so unbelievably knowledgeable on the subject) is undoubtedly Versailles. I know this is cliched - what isn't? - but is such a stunningly beautiful place and is actually one of my most favourite places in the world, not just in terms of palaces.

I am, technically, a history student (and a very, very bad one at that) so it's not just the undeniable physical beauty of the place that floats my boat, but the absolutely fascinating history that goes hand-in-hand with the palace.

The vast amount of pictures above were taken (by me) on my last visit; I was all alone but was an absolutely perfect day. I quite enjoy my own company and where better to be alone than at Versailles?!

I'm so in love with the film Marie Antoinette and although I've been to the palace about 4 times before, I'd never been to La Petit Trianon and Antoinette's 'village' - it's far less touristy than the main 'attraction' and it was so wonderful to finally be visiting it. It truly evokes feelings of a fascinating time in history and I hugely empathise with Marie Antoinette and her situation - the 'village' is nothing short of perfect.

It's just a shame I'm forced to study such absolute historical nonsense at university. Oh well, there's always the dissertation...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I ♥ getting comments! Do leave one, I really appreciate all of them...